Welcome to another roundup, where we gather all of LA sports’ biggest stories of the day!
Today took an unfortunate turn for our old friend Yasiel Puig, as he revealed that he had tested positive for COVID-19 and would not be signing with the Braves as previously announced. The one time Dodger was looking forward to a significant year, as he is on the verge of being shut out of the league for good after not meeting expectations last season. Puig is still a tremendous talent, but this league is as unforgiving as any. The hops is for him to get healthy and possibly sign on with another team at some point throughout the season to show teams that he still has what it takes to be on a major league squad.
The NBA bubble has garnered attention for more reasons than one, and it seems as if one of those reasons has players spit. There have been multiple reports of players being warned about violations thanks to the anonymous tip line set up to find any perpetrators. Among those that have been scolded already is the Lakers‘ Dwight Howard, who is wanted for posting videos of himself without a mask. It isn’t the biggest violation, but it’s enough to warrant a phone call from the league apparently.
One player that has yet to join the Lakers in Orlando is newly acquired forward, Markieff Morris. Morris has apparently been excused due to personal reasons up to this point, but he is expected to join the team shortly to prepare for the remainder of the 2020 season.
The wait is almost over, soccer fans! The LA Galaxy and LAFC are set to meet this Saturday in a highly anticipated rematch that should tell us everything we need to know about where the teams currently stand. The matchup has lost some of its luster with the absence of Carlos Vela, but there is still plenty of firepower on both sides to make things interesting.
For additional info on any of the stories mentioned or any other news from around LA, click on the links below for the full article!
- Dwight Howard among those who were reported on the NBA’s tipline
- Markeiff Morris expected to join the team soon after excused absence
- Yasiel Puig tests positive for COVID-19, will not sign with Braves
- 3 Players to watch during ‘El Trafico’ between Galaxy and LAFC
More Stories from Around LA
- AJ Pollock reveals he had COVID-19 prior to reporting to camp
- Sportsnet LA releases game coverage schedule
- Key games to watch when the Lakers return
- Players and coaches talk about LeBron’s leadership in Orlando
- Cooper Kupp provides 84,000 meals for food banks in LA
- Will the Rams be more interesting in fantasy than on the field?
- Don’t be surprised if Tyrod Taylor thrives in 2020
- Linval Joseph will provide a spark for LA’s defensive line
- Clippers’ Harrell leaves bubble for ‘family matter’
- Three factors that will decide the Clippers’ fate
All the Shine 🔦🔦🔦 pic.twitter.com/7FqbJyPrgm
— Los Angeles Lakers (@Lakers) July 17, 2020
— Cooper Kupp (@CooperKupp) July 17, 2020
Remember to check in daily to get the latest updates on LA sports! Follow us on our socials for more content and breaking stories!